[CIG-SHORT] XFEM

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 23 12:53:07 PDT 2017

On 08/23/2017 11:26 AM, Ehsan Haghighat wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> Getting more familiar with the geo-physical problems, I see a great advantage in using the Extended FEM to represent the fault geometry.

Have you talked with Ethan Koon at Los Alamos National Laboratory? My
understanding from talking with Matt Knepley our computational scientist
on the PyLith development team is that after lots of work Ethan is
convinced that XFEM inevitably leads to ill-conditioning due to the
crack cutting through the edges of cells.

  As a result, I am going through the code to understand where this can
be implemented in a way that does not break the code and can be merged
to the pylith in future (initial brainstorming, nothing implemented
yet). Having said that, I have few questions regarding the details of
implementations:

> - Do you have any thought how the crack surface can be defined?

On the fly? No, I haven't thought about it. For existing faults, either
a mesh-based approach or spline-surface approach could work.

> - Can parameter _numBasis be different for different elements? Or it has to be uniform all over the domain?

Starting in PyLith v3.0 (the next major release), the number of basis
functions will be defined per solution field, not for each material.
However, a material (or fault) could have additional information, such
as additional basis functions.

> - Does pylith support combined Triangular/Quadrilateral meshes?

PyLith uses the PETSc DMPlex data structure for finite-element mesh
topology information. Matt Knepley can clarify whether DMPlex supports
mixed cell meshes.

> It would be great if there is a chance to have a skype conversation; I would really like to discuss some challenges and hear your suggestions directly before jumping into this problem.

My suggestion is to first talk with Ethan Koon
(http://www.lanl.gov/expertise/profiles/view/ethan-coon) about his
experiences trying to get XFEM working for faults. He can describe the
computational challenges in much greater detail than I can.