[CIG-SHORT] How to determine the value of Up direction

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Aug 29 08:48:45 PDT 2017

Tu Xiang,

Is any part of your fault surface horizontal? If not, then you forgot to
mark the buried edges of the fault. See Step 2 Error 6 in the PyLith
Troubleshooting tutorial from CDM2017:
https://wiki.geodynamics.org/software:pylith:cdm2017.

If your fault surface includes some portions that are horizontal, then
you need to tweak the up_dir so that CrossProduct((0,0,1),up) != 0. For
example if your fault dips slightly to the east, then I suggest using
(-0.1,0,0.9). Note that the up_dir you supply does not have to be a unit
vector. See Section 6.4.3 in the PyLith manual for more information
about the up_dir parameter.