[CIG-SHORT] question for dynamic simulation via PyLith

Yasemin Korkusuz yaseminkrksz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 07:13:39 PST 2017

Hello,

I am writing you from Turkey. I would like to use PyLith code in my PhD
thesis study in order to obtain "a *dynamic earthquake fracture simulation*
in the Sea of Marmara concerning a *non-planar fault geometry* and *different
(heterogenous) stress orientations* for each segment".

*     1. Could you please make some suggestions about how should I start?*

I would like to use medium information, and initial stress amounts as
inputs and obtain stress amounts with slip and slip rates after the
propagation of the rupture (as outputs).

*      2. Thus, which PyLith example is the best for my purpose?*

Also, as I am not living in US, I can not use CUBIT for the mesh generation
and LaGrit has many library requirements which did not work on my computer.
Actually, I used GMSH for another code last year.

      3.  *May I use GMSH for triangular mesh for PyLith?*
*     4.   If so, what do you suggest about conversion of the mesh output
file ?*
*     5.  Also, I am not sure whether all types of meshes (triangular,
square,cubic) can be used in all examples of PyLith?*

*I will be looking forward to seeing your reply..*

Thanks a lot
Best Regards
Yasemin

--