[CIG-SHORT] Green's functions for fault opening

Kyle Murray kylemurray2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 09:38:40 PDT 2017

Hello,
I am working on example 7.8.10.2 and 7.8.11 in the manual. My goal is to
invert ground surface displacements for dike/fault opening. The Green's
function generation example is done with impulses of slip on the fault
rather than impulses of fault opening. If I want to make Green's functions
for the dike/fault opening example, do I need to change the impulse_dof
value in the greensfns.cfg? Is there a way to know what different values
signify for impulse_dof (I can't find it in the manual).  Is there anything
else I would need to change to make my Green's functions for dike/fault
opening?

Also for the inversion, is it necessary to sort the impulse, response, and
data arrays before solving?  In the 2D example (strike-slip fault) it is
straightforward to just sort the arrays based on the y-coordinate, but I'm
not sure how to deal with 3 dimensions.

Thank you,
Kyle