[CIG-SHORT] Kinematic fault convergence

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 14:15:30 PDT 2017

Dear Nick,

After a quick look at your mesh, it appears that there are a number of free surfaces still in your mesh, which indicates to me that you may not have merged things.  I am not certain whether that is responsible for your problems, but I would delete unused free surfaces and make sure everything is merged when you create your mesh.

> On 11/03/2017, at 12:28 PM, Nick Wogan <nicholaswogan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Charles or Brad,
>
> Some simulations I am running with kinematic faults are not converging..
>
> Attached is an example. W4_nofault.cfg and W4_withfault.cfg are the same simulation (and mesh) except W4_nofault.cfg has no faults implemented, while W4_withfault.cfg has two kinematic faults with 10 m of reverse slip prescribed on each fault.
>
> W4_withfault.cfg doesn't converge, W4_nofault.cfg does converge.
>
> What am I doing wrong? What solver settings should I be changing?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick Wogan

Charles Williams I Geodynamic Modeler
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph 0064-4-570-4566 I Mob 0064-22-350-7326 I Fax 0064-4-570-4600
http://www.gns.cri.nz/ <http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: C.Williams at gns.cri.nz <mailto:your.email at gns.cri.nz>