[CIG-SHORT] Dike Intrusion

Surendra Nadh Somala surendra at iith.ac.in
Tue May 23 11:29:28 PDT 2017

To add to what Brad said, db_initial_state for friction laws is used to
specify 'State Variable', which denotes the average age of contact
asperities in case of rate-and-state friction.  For other friction laws
like slip-weakening and time-weakening artificial state variables were
introduced.  The former has cumulative-slip and previous-slip while the
latter has elapsed-time.
Static friction, on the other hand, does not have any state variable.

Initial traction for faults is set using 'db_initial' instead of
'db_initial_state' which is used in your example.  In addition to
'db_initial', you can also set 'db_rate' or 'db_change' as detailed in
table 6.11 of Pylith manual version 2.2.0

-SS

*Surendra Nadh Somala*
Assistant Professor
Department of Civil Engineering (Block-E, 208)
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Hyderabad
Kandi, Sangareddy
Telangana, India - 502285
Phone : +91 (0)40 2301-8457
http://www.iith.ac.in/~surendra/