[CIG-SHORT] Mesh interpenetration

Matthew Knepley knepley at rice.edu
Wed Nov 1 01:14:58 PDT 2017

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:05 AM, Li, Teng <tengli2 at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please see the attached picture which shows the junction of the secondary
> fault and the main fault. I used paraview to visualize the vtk file. In the
> paraview, I used wrap by vector filter to show the displacement of the
> junction. As we can see, it seems interpenetration occurs in this area. And
> two faces separate from each other.  I wonder whether this is a valid
> result? And if it is not right, what might be the reason? Thanks.

1) I do not understand why there are two triangles in the picture. Isn't
this an all quad mesh?

2) If the fault is in tension, it will open. I am not sure why you would
call that interpenetration, which means that two quads cross over each
other, not leave a void.
     You might increase the cohension at that interface if you want it to
remain together, or look at the normal stress on the fault, which should
ordinarily be more
     than enough to keep it together.

3) The extremely narrow quads on the right are bad for your system
condition number. Why did you mesh it that way?

   Thanks,

     Matt

Best,