[CIG-SHORT] Mesh interpenetration

Li, Teng tengli2 at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 1 08:06:33 PDT 2017

Hi Matt,

Please find the attachment which is the original mesh in the area where the left 60 degrees secondary fault link directly to the main fault. Two faults are highlighted. As we can see, all the mesh in this area is quad mesh. The reason why we see the triangular mesh in the left part is just that some meshes overlap each other. And according to my observation, part of the cells along the secondary fault on the right go into the cells along the secondary fault on the left part.

Because the left 60-degree secondary fault link directly to the main fault, there will be a sharp triangular in the junction area. I choose 12.5m mesh size and use Trellis to mesh this area. And please find the new attachment for the mesh information in this junction triangular area. If this mesh is in a bad quality, what might be the solution? Can I use smaller mesh size?

Thanks.

Best,
Teng

Teng Li

Master Candidate in Structures

205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801

Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu