[CIG-SHORT] Mesh interpenetration

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 1 08:32:24 PDT 2017

Teng,

When you use the Warp filter in ParaView with a scale larger than 1.0,
the deformation is exaggerated. As a result, *sometimes* it looks like
there is interpenetration or opening, when in fact there is not. You
should look at the opening component of the fault slip field (and the
corresponding displacements) to see if there is really fault opening or
interpenetration.

As Joe Andrews pointed out many years ago, most fault intersections are
geometrically incompatible so one does expect some fault opening if
there is slip on all faults at an intersection. If the solution is
converging properly, then we would never expect interpenetration.