[CIG-SHORT] Mesh interpenetration

Li, Teng tengli2 at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 1 12:59:46 PDT 2017

Hi Brad,

Thank you. Actually, I asked the similar questions in the last month. I find normal traction become zero in the junction area. And also shear traction become zero in this area. After analyzing HDF5 file, I find there are both positive and negative normal slip occur in different time steps. Last time, we thought it was because the inappropriate parameters chosen for my problem. For my problem, the mesh size is 12.5m. And I first choose nordimensinalizer: normalizer.shear_wave_speed = 1*km/s,  normalizer.wave_period = 1*s. Now I change them to 0.1*km/s and 0.1s. Furthermore, I add formulation.norm_viscosity = 0.4. And I still see the both positive and negative normal slips. The magnitudes for both are about 0.005m.

Is it because the rounding error brought by Matlab? Or is it because the mesh? I use Trellis to mesh all the domain.

Best,
Teng

Teng Li

Master Candidate in Structures

205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801

Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu