[CIG-SHORT] Mesh interpenetration

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Nov 9 10:23:22 PST 2017

Teng,

The first thing to do is to make sure your problem is being
nondimensionalized with the appropriate scales.

In a dynamic problem the length scale we use for nondimensionalizing the
parameters is the minimum wavelength of a shear wave, which we compute
from the NondimElasticDynamic shear_wave_speed and wave_period properties.

The minimum period is a function of the resolution of your mesh. In
generally, for a P1 (linear) discretization most people use 10-12 cells
per wavelength. For spontaneous rupture problems, the breakdown zone
should be at least 3-5 times the cell size. If this isn't familiar,
there are a number of journal papers on these issues.

Also, first try running the problem with the single, main planar fault.
Make sure the solution is well resolved by testing a couple different
resolutions. Do you get almost identical results with a cell size that
is 8m? 25m?

Once the single fault is working, then add the other faults, BUT use
prescribed slip with a slip of zero. Look at the traction changes on
those faults? Make sure they are well resolved. Do the results depend on
the discretization size? cell type (tri vs quad)? In a 2-D domain with
complex geometry, you can almost always get a higher quality mesh with
triangular cells.