[CIG-SHORT] Mesh interpenetration

Li, Teng tengli2 at illinois.edu
Sun Nov 5 20:49:33 PST 2017

Hi Brad,

I am sorry for the late reply.

Please see the pictures for model setup and slip values in the HDF5 files.  (The red lines means the positions of the secondary faults).

Here I will give a description of my problem. The model is an 18000*25130 rectangular domain. In the model, there are a main fault and secondary faults. The main fault in the middle split the whole body into two equal rectangular. While in some places, there are 60-degree secondary faults link directly to the main fault. The friction model for all the faults is slip-weakening friction. And this is a dynamic problem. For the initial shear stress on the main fault, I apply overstress in a certain length in the bottom of the main fault and apply smaller stress in later part of the main fault. And I apply a certain compressive normal stress along the main fault. For the secondary fault, I apply same normal stress and smaller shear stress (same as the stress on the main fault where no overstress applied). The stresses in the secondary faults are decomposed according to their angles. The total time is 9.5s to make sure the rupture will go to the other end of the main fault, and dt is 0.0004s. The output is 200, which means 0.08s a step.

The mesh size is 12.5m. All the elements are quad elements. In the junction area where the main fault and lowest secondary fault link together, the mesh shapes are irregular.  And I also find the main fault open in this part. Now the only thing I am not sure is the negative normal slip in this region.

Best,
Teng

Teng Li

Master Candidate in Structures

205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801

Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu