[CIG-SHORT] Mesh interpenetration

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Nov 10 09:33:13 PST 2017

On 11/09/2017 06:40 PM, Li, Teng wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will try different combinations of shear_wave_speed and wave_period values to see whether the results will change.

Teng,

The scales for nondimensionalization are not something you tune. There
are clear choices for the appropriate values as I discussed in my
previous email. Use those values. There are *other* parameters that you
may need to adjust, such as the fault zero tolerance *once* you have the
correct nondimensional scales. If you significantly adjust the
resolution of your mesh, then you will need to update the wave period
used in the nondimensionalization.