[CIG-SHORT] Dynamic rupture on realistic mesh

Huihui Weng qfkq7850 at mail.ustc.edu.cn
Wed Nov 8 04:48:14 PST 2017

Hi Brad,

When I try to simulate dynamic rupture with realistic mesh, I have a similar problem with the one Hongfeng asked several years ago. But in my case, the normal stress is large enough to hold the fault (attached pictures).

For test, I let the dip shear stress at one node reaching the fault strength, but I find it also has slips at both normal and strike directions (as the attached pictures show, information at left bottom), i.e., dip slip ~ 0.05m, strike slip ~ 0.005m, normal slip ~ 8e-5m (fault open with normal stress large enough!). The simulating progress of this case will freeze at some time step without any errors, and the freezing time step depends on the parameter of zero_tolerance (e.g., 1.0e-7). Once the progress freezes, I need to kill it by hand by Linux commands.

Since only the dip shear stress and normal stress are not zeros in this case, how could it lead to strike and normal slip? It does seem it is the abnormal normal slip that “freezes" the simulating progress. How can eliminate the slip at the normal direction for such realistic fault? Thanks.

Best,
Huihui

[CIG-SHORT] dynamic rupture on realistic mesh

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov  <mailto:cig-short%40geodynamics.org?Subject=%5BCIG-SHORT%5D%20dynamic%20rupture%20on%20realistic%20mesh&In-Reply-To=4F7F6512.3050800%40whoi.edu>
Sat Apr 7 20:34:17 PDT 2012