[CIG-SHORT] How to mesh the 2-D model into small size

xu bei xubei076862 at outlook.com
Mon Nov 27 23:26:18 PST 2017

Dear Charles

I constructed a 2-D mesh model with two faults. I want to see whether the dynamic slip can jump from one fault to the other fault. At first, I set the grid size of 100 m and the fault zero tolerance value 1.0e-10. But some nodes open with nonzero traction (see attached log file). I decrease the grid size and want to eliminate the problem. But PyLith will estimate a stable time step based on the minimum grid length of your mesh. Although I designed a grid size of 50 m or smaller in CUBIT, the actual grid size on certain cells may be extremely small that depends on the mesh quality. Then I increase the size to 60 m or 80 m. The mesh quality is high, but some nodes still open with nonzero traction (see attached log file). I also increase the fault zero tolerance value to 1.0e-7. But I do not know whether increase the fault zero tolerance value will increase the numerical noise. And for a grid size of 60 m, although I increase the fault zero tolerance value to 1.0e-7, Pylith still report that some nodes open with nonzero traction (see attached log file).

I do not know why and how to deal with these problems. I have tried many times but all do not work.

Hope someone would like to help me.

Best regards,

Xu Bei