[CIG-SHORT] [SPAM] Re: fault edge motion

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Oct 27 08:45:14 PDT 2017

Huihui,

I think you can move the fault edge for the kinematic fault one cell off
the fault plane. This should not be different than a fault intersection.
You should list the kinematic fault first in the list of fault
interfaces, as it is the "through-going" fault in this case; this should
insure the cohesive cells are created appropriately. This asymmetry
could affect your solution, so I would suggest you consider running the
simulations with the fault edge on one side and then the other.

I suspect that moving the fault edge of the kinematic fault to one side
of the dynamic fault will lead to errors inserting the cohesive cells
(green arrow in your right figure).