[CIG-SHORT] [EXTERNAL] How to set bias fine size {a} coarse size {b} ?

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Apr 27 08:50:50 PDT 2018

Bei Xu,

The gradient.jou script runs for me using CUBIT 15.3. I did notice that
you only apply the bias to the extension of the fault surface. When I
meshed the surrounding surfaces I end up with some very coarse surface
cells. I don't think this is what you want; I think you want to apply
the bias to the other surfaces that have bias on their edges to get a
nice smooth gradation in the cell size.

If the mesher is crashing on you, then I would use the "top" command (or
another process monitor) to watch how much memory the mesher is using.
You could be running out of memory.

We strongly recommend debugging your workflow using a coarse mesh and
then working your way to the final fine mesh for production runs. In
this case, I would debug the mesh sizing issues with a coarser cell size
(something like 400-500m) on the fault. Once you are happy with that
mesh, then use finer sizes. You should only have to change the fault
size parameter.