[CIG-SHORT] Applying Gravitational Forces with Pylith

Niloufar Abolfathian niloufar.abolfathian at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 20:59:50 PDT 2018

Thanks, Charles.

My error is due to the convergence of the nonlinear solver. I have made
some modifications but not sure if it is a good idea to decrease my
residual norms.

Best,
Niloufar

This is the setting I am using:

[pylithapp.timedependent]

formulation = pylith.problems.ImplicitLgDeform

[pylithapp.timedependent.formulation]

output = [domain,subdomain]

output.subdomain = pylith.meshio.OutputSolnSubset

solver = pylith.problems.SolverNonlinear

[pylithapp.timedependent.formulation.time_step]

total_time = 50000.0*year

dt = 2.0*year

[pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces]

fault = pylith.faults.FaultCohesiveDyn

[pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces.fault]

label = fault

edge = fault_edge

zero_tolerance = 1.0e-11

# Use the slip-weakening friction model.

friction.db_properties = spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB

friction.db_properties.label = Slip weakening

friction.db_properties.values =
[static-coefficient,dynamic-coefficient,slip-weakening-parameter,cohesion]

friction.db_properties.data = [0.6,0.4,0.2*m,0.0*Pa]

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# PETSc settings

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# NOTE: There are additional settings specific to fault friction.

# Set the solver options.

[pylithapp.petsc]

malloc_dump =

# Preconditioner settings.

pc_type = asm

sub_pc_factor_shift_type = nonzero

# Friction sensitivity solve used to compute the increment in slip

# associated with changes in the Lagrange multiplier imposed by the

# fault constitutive model.

friction_pc_type = asm

friction_sub_pc_factor_shift_type = nonzero

friction_ksp_max_it = 50

friction_ksp_gmres_restart = 30

# Uncomment to view details of friction sensitivity solve.

#friction_ksp_monitor = true

#friction_ksp_view = true

friction_ksp_converged_reason = true

# Reduce convergence tolerances.