[CIG-SHORT] Applying Gravitational Forces with Pylith

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Aug 2 08:43:40 PDT 2018

Is this the gravity only problem to compute the initial stresses? If so,
then you should remove the fault.

On 08/01/2018 08:59 PM, Niloufar Abolfathian wrote:
> Thanks, Charles.
>
> My error is due to the convergence of the nonlinear solver. I have made
> some modifications but not sure if it is a good idea to decrease my
> residual norms.
>
> Best,
> Niloufar
>

> This is the setting I am using:
>

> [pylithapp.timedependent]
> formulation =pylith.problems.ImplicitLgDeform
>

> [pylithapp.timedependent.formulation]
> output =[domain,subdomain]
> output.subdomain =pylith.meshio.OutputSolnSubset
> solver =pylith.problems.SolverNonlinear
>
> [pylithapp.timedependent.formulation.time_step]
> total_time =50000.0*year
> dt =2.0*year
>
> [pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces]
> fault =pylith.faults.FaultCohesiveDyn
>
> [pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces.fault]
> label =fault
> edge =fault_edge
> zero_tolerance =1.0e-11
>
> # Use the slip-weakening friction model.
> friction.db_properties =spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB
> friction.db_properties.label =Slip weakening
> friction.db_properties.values
> =[static-coefficient,dynamic-coefficient,slip-weakening-parameter,cohesion]
>
> friction.db_properties.data =[0.6,0.4,0.2*m,0.0*Pa]
>
> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> # PETSc settings
> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> [pylithapp.petsc]
> malloc_dump =
>
> # Preconditioner settings.
> pc_type =asm
> sub_pc_factor_shift_type =nonzero

When you encounter convergence errors, a good strategy is to revert to
the direct solver. Note that this only works when you don't have a fault.

pc_type = lu

For most real applications (after you have debugged the setup)l, we
recommend using the multigrid preconditioner. See
solver_algebraicmultigrid.cfg (no fault) and solver_fieldsplit.cfg )with
fault) in examples/3d/subduction.