[CIG-SHORT] Stress discontinuity at fault intersection in 3D

Josimar Alves da Silva jsilva.mit at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 11:35:24 PST 2018

Hi Brad,

I have a question regarding fault intersection in 3D. This is a follow
up question from a previous recent discussion.

When I look at the normal stress at one of my faults I notice a
discontinuity in the stresses at the fault intersection. See attached
figure for details.

This is of course a result of the fault_edges definition as you explained
in a recent post. My questions is:

i) Is it possible to output normal and shear stresses on a plane inside the
domain without having to define those planes as faults in PyLith ? This
would perhaps bypass the fault intersection problem for cases where one
only wants stresses on the fault. The goal is to avoid having to define
fault buried edges that result in the attached stress discontinuity.

thank you in advance,
Josimar