[CIG-SHORT] problem about setting the spatial database.

tu xiang tuxiang2016 at outlook.com
Sat Mar 10 01:05:39 PST 2018

Hello, everyone
I met a problem when I set the spatial database.
The examples provided with Pylith software given good descriptions of linear slip or stress distribution within the spatial database.
For example:
#SPATIAL.ascii 1
SimpleDB {
  num-values = 2
  value-names =  traction-shear  traction-normal
  value-units =  MPa MPa
  num-locs = 7
  data-dim = 1
  space-dim = 2
  cs-data = cartesian {
    to-meters = 1.0e+3 // Specify coordinates in km for convenience.
    space-dim = 2
  } // cs-data
} // SimpleDB
0.000000  10.000000    20.0   -51.0
0.000000  -0.999999    20.0   -51.0
0.000000  -1.000000    32.0   -51.0
0.000000  -5.000000    32.0   -51.0
0.000000  -5.000001    25.0   -51.0
0.000000  -20.000000  25.0   -51.0
0.000000  -60.000000  25.0   -51.0

This is a 2D linear stress distribution which contain a nucleation zone in the depth between -1km and -5km (Figure 1 left).

My question is how to depict a three-dimensional nucleation zone (Figure 1 right).
The nucleation zone may be rectangle or circle on the fault. I do not know how to depict the nucleation zone within the spatial database.

Hope someone would like to give me some suggestions.
Best regards,
Tu Xiang