[CIG-SHORT] problem about setting the spatial database.

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:45:53 PST 2018

Dear Tu,

To create a 3D zone, it is probably easiest to write a script to generate the database.  You could either create a grid of points or use the actual fault coordinates.  Also, it might be helpful to use a SimpleGridDB.  That would allow you to set up your desired pattern just using a grid of (x,y) coordinates.

> On 10/03/2018, at 10:05 PM, tu xiang <tuxiang2016 at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, everyone
> I met a problem when I set the spatial database.
> The examples provided with Pylith software given good descriptions of linear slip or stress distribution within the spatial database.
> For example:
> #SPATIAL.ascii 1
> SimpleDB {
>   num-values = 2
>   value-names =  traction-shear  traction-normal
>   value-units =  MPa MPa
>   num-locs = 7
>   data-dim = 1
>   space-dim = 2
>   cs-data = cartesian {
>     to-meters = 1.0e+3 // Specify coordinates in km for convenience.
>     space-dim = 2
>   } // cs-data
> } // SimpleDB
> 0.000000  10.000000    20.0   -51.0
> 0.000000  -0.999999    20.0   -51.0
> 0.000000  -1.000000    32.0   -51.0
> 0.000000  -5.000000    32.0   -51.0
> 0.000000  -5.000001    25.0   -51.0
> 0.000000  -20.000000  25.0   -51.0
> 0.000000  -60.000000  25.0   -51.0
>
> This is a 2D linear stress distribution which contain a nucleation zone in the depth between -1km and -5km (Figure 1 left).
>
> My question is how to depict a three-dimensional nucleation zone (Figure 1 right).
> The nucleation zone may be rectangle or circle on the fault. I do not know how to depict the nucleation zone within the spatial database.
>
> Hope someone would like to give me some suggestions.
> Best regards,
> Tu Xiang

> CIG-SHORT mailing list
> CIG-SHORT at geodynamics.org <mailto:CIG-SHORT at geodynamics.org>
Charles Williams I Geodynamic Modeler
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph 0064-4-570-4566 I Mob 0064-22-350-7326 I Fax 0064-4-570-4600
http://www.gns.cri.nz/ <http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: C.Williams at gns.cri.nz <mailto:your.email at gns.cri.nz>