[CIG-SHORT] [Cig16-pylith] Pylith error final slip

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Mar 27 09:40:11 PDT 2018

Lauriane,

Please send questions related to PyLith to cig-short at geodynamics.org.
cig16-pylith was for intended only for the CIG16 tutorial.

PyLith calculates the slip at all points of the fault mesh. The spatial
database provides a means for the user to specify a field (slip) over
some region (fault). We have multiple implementations of a spatial
database. UniformDB is for uniform fields over a domain. SimpleDB is
intended for small collections of points that do not form a logical
grid. In a SimpleDB you can use nearest interpolation in which PyLith
will find the closest point in the spatial database to the location of
interest (point on the fault). With linear interpolation PyLith will
attempt to find two points on a line (data-dim = 1), three points on a
triangle (data-dim=2), or four points on a tetrahedron to linear
interpolate values from the spatial database to the location of
interest. A SimpleGridDB is a more efficient implementation of a
SimpleDB for the case of a logical grid and linear interpolation. Please
see the PyLith manual for more information about each of these spatial
database implementations, and the examples for how we use them to
specify fields over the domain, fault, or boundary.

When you get the error message

"RuntimeError: Could not find final slip at (  0  -30000  -15000) using
spatial database Final slip."

it means your fault contains this point and PyLith could not find points
in the spatial database to use to interpolate the final slip field to
this point.