[CIG-SHORT] [EXTERNAL] How to make the surface cells smaller

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon May 7 07:29:53 PDT 2018

Bei Xu,

PyLith can uniformly refine a mesh, by a factor of 2, 4, 8, etc.
Tetrahedral cells will get more distorted as the refinement factor
increases, so we usually only use factors or 2 or 4. This allows you to
generate your mesh at a coarser resolution (2x or 4x the cell size) and
then refine in parallel at the beginning of a PyLith simulation. See
examples/3d/tet4 for examples of using the refinement.

>  From the fault plane, the grid gradually becomes bigger.
Set the discretization size on the fault surface to be what you want.
> I tried to mesh the boundary line along different paths, but  I still
> end up with some very coarse surface cells. I do not know why. Do you
> know why? Would you like to give some suggestions?

Set the discretization size on the surfaces using the bias.

> By the way, how to output the value of  a variable.
>
> For example,
>
> # dxA - size at vertex 13
> #{dxStart=dx}{curveL=Length(58)}{execute("dxA="//fun_dx)}
>
> If I want to know the value of the variable "dxA", what should I do?

The values of the APREPRO variables in CUBIT/Trellis are visible in the
GUI. See the CUBIT/Trellis documentation for details.