[CIG-SHORT] Problem about nondimensionalized time step

tu xiang tuxiang2016 at outlook.com
Wed Jan 23 16:18:40 PST 2019

Hello, everyone
I met a problem when I ran earthquake dynamic rupture simulation. It reports that:

untimeError: Current nondimensionalized time step of 3.3333e-01 exceeds the nondimensionalized stable time step of 3.1180e-02.
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, -1) - process 0

 I do not know what does it mean and how to deal with the problem.

Here is my nondimensionalized setting:

[pylithapp.timedependent]
formulation = pylith.problems.Explicit
normalizer = spatialdata.units.NondimElasticDynamic

[pylithapp.timedependent.normalizer]
shear_wave_speed = 3.0*km/s
mass_density = 3.0e+3*kg/m**3
wave_period = 0.3*s

Do I need to decrease the time step or change the normalizer parameters? Do the normalizer parameters have any relationship with the time step? How can I select the normalizer parameters?

Best regards
Tu