[CIG-SHORT] Problem about nondimensionalized time step

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:13:06 PST 2019

Hi Tu,

Ideally, your normalization parameters should represent typical (or sometimes smallest) parameters for your problem.  This includes the length scale, which should probably correspond to your smallest cell size.  Are the other normalizer parameters below reasonable for your problem?

If your normalizer parameters are set correctly, I would guess you need to reduce your time step size.

> On 24/01/2019, at 1:18 PM, tu xiang <tuxiang2016 at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, everyone
> I met a problem when I ran earthquake dynamic rupture simulation. It reports that:
>
> untimeError: Current nondimensionalized time step of 3.3333e-01 exceeds the nondimensionalized stable time step of 3.1180e-02.
> application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, -1) - process 0
>
>  I do not know what does it mean and how to deal with the problem.
>
> Here is my nondimensionalized setting:
>
> [pylithapp.timedependent]
> formulation = pylith.problems.Explicit
> normalizer = spatialdata.units.NondimElasticDynamic
>
> [pylithapp.timedependent.normalizer]
> shear_wave_speed = 3.0*km/s
> mass_density = 3.0e+3*kg/m**3
> wave_period = 0.3*s
>
> Do I need to decrease the time step or change the normalizer parameters? Do the normalizer parameters have any relationship with the time step? How can I select the normalizer parameters?
>
> Best regards
> Tu

Charles Williams I Geodynamic Modeler
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph 0064-4-570-4566 I Mob 0064-22-350-7326 I Fax 0064-4-570-4600
http://www.gns.cri.nz/ <http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: C.Williams at gns.cri.nz <mailto:your.email at gns.cri.nz>