[aspect-devel] Aspect-devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 3

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Mon Nov 19 12:27:46 PST 2012

All,
I know it's terrible -- I don't recall who exactly sent me this input
file (attached) and whether I modified it, but in any case I ran it over
the weekend to see what happens to the boundary fluxes in the shell
geometry. Attached is what I get from simply running this on 16
processors for a *very* long time.

The two heat fluxes never reach a steady state -- rather, the jump up
and down every time a plume detaches from the inner or outer boundaries.
Looking at the solution picture (also attached), I'm not surprised that
the heat fluxes don't coincide: it looks like the boundary layers are
less than one cell width, and so we can not expect to resolve them
accurately. Rather, the heat flux given by these numerical
approximations is determined by the smallest length scale that can be
resolved by the mesh -- and because this length scale is different for
the inner and outer boundaries, the heat fluxes is different. (Of
course, had we chosen a mesh where the radial resolution is the same at
the two boundaries, we may have gotten results where the two heat fluxes
match -- but are both completely wrong.)

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu