[aspect-devel] Aspect-devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 3

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Thu Nov 22 14:10:28 PST 2012

Hi Wolfgang,

Happy Thanksgiving!

That was Ian who sent that input file over.  The spherical shell models I tested actually all crashed a little bit after I last emailed you, with all of them reporting very high (> 1e20) residuals at there final time step.  The crash occurred over a range (~ 10^8 - 10^4).

I'm a bit surprised at the high resolutions, considering my mesh setup: 4 initial global refinements, 3 initial adaptive refinements, refinement fraction of 0.3 and coarsening fraction of 0.05.  I'll try modifying the mesh to see if that helps with convergence.

In terms of resolving basal verse surface heat flux, would it be difficult to include a parameter that modifies the spatial resolution as a function of depth, in addition to temperature, cp, etc?

Cheers,
John