[aspect-devel] ASPECT tutorials

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 15 19:37:53 PST 2014

All:
CIG has proposed that we develop tutorials for ASPECT to explain how it can be
used to new users. I think the format for these tutorials hasn't quite been
determined yet, but there are three opportunities for one this year:
- the Canadian Geophysical Union conference in May in Banff, Canada
- the 6-week CIDER "conference" in California in July
- the SEDI conference in early August in Japan.

I have prior engagement on my calendar for the first two, but could do the
third. In any case, however, I would like to bring up three questions worth
figuring out first:
1/ Do people think such tutorials make sense at all?
2/ What should be the topics to cover in such tutorials?
    (I'm thinking we'd use a virtual box but nevertheless go over
     installation briefly; running some of the cookbooks; editing the input
     files and what the more important parts in there mean; visualizing
     graphical output and statistics data; setting up new situations from
     scratch. Anything else?)
3/ Would anyone be interested in teaching tutorials and/or participate in
    developing training materials?
    (I'm thinking that since most of it will be interactive, that the materials
     are really just outlines for the topics to be covered, maybe with short
     summaries and further links.)

Opinions?

Cheers

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu