[aspect-devel] ASPECT tutorials

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Thu Jan 16 06:10:24 PST 2014

> 1/ Do people think such tutorials make sense at all?

I think so, yes. We want as many people as possible to know about
Aspect and be able to use it.

> 2/ What should be the topics to cover in such tutorials?
>    (I'm thinking we'd use a virtual box but nevertheless go over
>     installation briefly; running some of the cookbooks; editing the input
>     files and what the more important parts in there mean; visualizing
>     graphical output and statistics data; setting up new situations from
>     scratch. Anything else?)

Explaining the installation is not a useful way to spend the time, I
think. At least at cider two years ago nearly all students had windows
or mac laptops and knew very little about computing. Installation is
explained fairly well in the manual, too.
I agree with all the other points.

> 3/ Would anyone be interested in teaching tutorials and/or participate in
>    developing training materials?

Certainly. I offered to help at cider (but I am busy 7/13-7/19 already).

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/