[aspect-devel] lateral variations in viscosity & present-day seismic image as inputs

Austermann, Jacqueline jaustermann at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 1 11:31:46 PDT 2014

Hi Petar,

Yes, both is possible (Wolfgang and Timo correct me if I'm wrong). For the initial thermal structure you could take a look at S40RTS_perturbation.cc, which inputs a scaled S40RTS initial condition. This should give you an idea of how you could read in tomography data and use them as your initial condition. For the material model, you could look at the steinberger.cc material model on how to read in information on the viscosity.
I've actually started working on a material model that I call mitrovica_forte.cc, which is likely close to some of the things you are looking for and inbetween the simple model and the steinberger model in terms of complexity. I'm still testing it so it's not in aspect yet but if you want we could work on this together (maybe use it for a benchmark with your code?) and eventually push it to aspect. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you want to do that (jaustermann at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:jaustermann at fas.harvard.edu>) or keep it on the aspect-devel thread.

Cheers,
Jacky