[aspect-devel] Dynamic Topography vs Topography

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Mon Nov 7 11:58:03 PST 2016

Hi Payman,

I guess the short answer is: They do different things. The topography
postprocessor measures the actual deformation of the mesh (i.e. you will
only see significant values, if you use a deforming mesh / free
surface). The dynamic topography however is calculated as: How much
topography would be here, if the pressure were to be balanced by
overlying topography (for a longer explanation including formulas take a
look at the postprocessor description in the manual or the source code).

So as long as you do not use a free surface, the values of the
'topography' postprocessor will be close to zero (there might be a tiny
value). And if you use a free surface the 'dynamic topography'
postprocessor will likely no longer calculate anything useful (because
the pressure is already compensated by building a topography).

Hope that helps,

Best,

Rene