[aspect-devel] free surface with non-zero surface pressure

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Fri Nov 18 13:46:18 PST 2016

Hi Carolyn,

Great question!

Currently, it is not possible to mix a free surface and traction
boundary condition.  However, as you pointed out this feature would be
very useful for a number of applications and I do not see any reason why
it can't be implemented.

I think this kind of feature would likely be implemented as an added
option to the free surface portions of the code or as a new boundary
condition model/option.  Others will have a much better idea of exactly
how/where this should be done.

I imagine everyone is pretty busy gearing up for AGU, but this is a
point one or more of us could return to next year.  Alternatively, If
you would like to try the implementation please do so! You can always
send questions to the mailing list as you go along.

Hope this helps and if you plan to attend AGU keep in mind there will be
a whole suite of APSECT-related presentations
(https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/calendar/agu-2016-week/abstracts/).

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis