[aspect-devel] Postprocessing scripts

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Sun Aug 5 11:57:20 PDT 2018

On 08/04/2018 12:10 PM, Max Rudolph wrote:
> At CIDER last month, several of us were discussing how we postprocess output
> from ASPECT to make figures or calculate derived scalar and vector quantities.
> While some postprocessing tasks are commonly used and warrant the development
> of postprocessor modules, it seems that many are not, and it might be worth
> including some functions to read aspect output files to minimize the time
> invested by various users in developing more specialized postprocessing
> scripts on their own. For instance, we have scripts to read aspect output from
> 3D spherical geometry calculations in vtk or h5 format and convert to
> lat/lon/depth grids in vtk format, etc. Would the aspect developers be
> interested in including a collection of postprocessing scripts in matlab and
> python within the main aspect repository?

I see no conceptual difference in accepting such scripts compared to accepting
postprocessors written in C++: If it may be of use to others as well, I'd say
we should take them. That's definitely preferable to people exchanging scripts
between themselves outside the generally maintained repository.

So, if you think you have something that others might find useful, then we
should find a place to store them in the repository!

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu