[aspect-devel] density for depth-dependent viscosity model

Juliane Dannberg judannberg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:23:21 PDT 2018

Dear Eleonora,

the density in your model is controlled by which material model you use.
So to figure out why the density has a different value from what you
would expect, you would have to check what equation the material model
you use in your computation uses to compute the density. Usually, there
is a reference density, which is used as a starting value, and a
dependence on the temperature (as given by the thermal expansivity),
and, optionally, the pressure and composition.

But if your model is, for example, incompressible (so that the density
does not depend on pressure) and does not have a composition-dependence
of the density, then your density is only controlled by the reference
value an the temperature. So if the temperature in the lithosphere is
lower than in the mantle below, you would expect that the density in the
lithosphere is higher.

In reality, of course, the lithosphere has a different composition than
the asthenosphere, which influences its density. So if you want to have
that effect in your model, you need to use a material model that allows
density changes due to compositional fields.

I hope that helps!
Juliane