[aspect-devel] Problem compiling Aspect on Tacc-Stampede2

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Mon May 7 15:01:13 PDT 2018

Hi Felipe,

I just installed ASPECT v1.5 with the one of the versions of deal.II
(8.5.1) I built a while back. For now, perhaps try building ASPECT by
linking to the version of deal.II on my account? Instructions to do this
are at the bottom of the email.

However, a number of things may change in the final Stampede2
installation instructions. For example, I get a number of warnings
related to the version of BOOST (Stampede2 module). Linking to my
version of deal.II may also not work (during installation or running a
model) and please let me know if this is the case.

I'll have the instructions go through a round of review through an
existing issue (https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/1838), and
once everyone is happy I'll add the instructions to the ASPECT wiki:
https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/wiki. From there, we can also have
the TACC folks build a deal.II 8.5.1 module for ASPECT.

Cheers,
John

*ASPECT Installations Instructions for Stampede2**using pre-built
deal.II 8.5.1 (***not guaranteed to work****)*
1. Start idev session
      idev -p skx-dev -N 1 -n 48 -m 60

2. Make sure following modules are loaded
      gcc/7.1.0 impi/17.0.3 mkl/17.0.4 python/2.7.13 boost/1.64
swig/3.0.12 cmake/3.8.2
      phdf5/1.8.16 parallel-netcdf/4.3.3.1

3. Set cc and cxx compiler enivornment variables
      export CC="${TACC_IMPI_BIN}"/mpicc; export
CXX="${TACC_IMPI_BIN}"/mpicxx

4. Configure (be sure to add in the correct path to your ASPECT
installation folder)
      cmake \
-DDEAL_II_DIR=/work/01038/jboff/stampede2/software/gcc-7.1.0/dealii/v8.5.1/install/lib/cmake
\
        -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=""PATH_TO_YOUR_ASPECT_FOLDER" \
        -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release .

5. Build
      make -j32