[CIG-ALL] CIG Newsletter May 2019

Lorraine Hwang ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
Wed May 15 17:28:52 PDT 2019

View this email in your browser <https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&id=944adf03dc>

News Elements
May 2019     Volume 8 Issue 2
In Memoriam: Louise H. Kellogg 1959-2019
Louise Kellogg was a leader in the CIG community since its early phases leading to her role as Director of CIG beginning in 2010.  Her influence spread beyond geodynamics with life-long interests in the arts, promotion of underrepresented groups in the sciences, and scientific visualization. These were amongst the many activities that she lent her leadership and insight over the years. Her support of team science and the community around it is characterized by its openness and equity. As a friend of many years and later a colleague, I have felt myself fortunate to have worked alongside her the past 7 years and will miss the collegial conversations as well as her insights and discernments.

We welcome the community to the UC Davis campus on Sunday June 2 @11A in remembrance of Louise, a visionary leader, colleague, and friend whose loss will be felt widely.  We will post more information on our website <https://geodynamics.org/cig/> as it becomes available.

If you wish to express messages of sympathy and memories of Louise and/or if you plan to attend please send a message to  memories-of-louise at ucdavis.edu <mailto:memories-of-louise at ucdavis.edu>. [In Memoriam <https://geology.ucdavis.edu/people/inmemoriam/kellogg>].  Contributed by Lorraine Hwang

Message from the Executive Committee
Like the rest of the geodynamics community, the members of the Executive Committee (EC) found ourselves in shock and profound grief at the news of Louise’s passing. Louise was passionate about the future of CIG and was actively planning a new round of

 <https://geodynamics.org/>
 <mailto:contact at geodynamics.org>
 <https://geodynamicsblog.wordpress.com/>
 <https://www.youtube.com/user/CIGeodynamics>
 <https://github.com/geodynamics>
 <https://twitter.com/UCDgeodynamics>
WEBINARS
2019
May 16 - Mark Ghiroso

More info <https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/webinars/>
Connect to webinar <https://zoom.us/j/384711375>

MEETINGS
May 21-June 1: ASPECT Hackathon
June 10-14: Crustal Deformation Modeling Tutorial
July 22-26: Rayleigh Hackathon
August 25-30: Ada Lovelace Workshop

NEW RELEASES
ASPECT 2.1.0

 <https://geodynamics.org/cig/abc>
click the icon for citation info

ALLOCATIONS remaining
Stampede2: 65,501/85,608 SUs
Comet: 250,554/500,000 SUs
Comet GPU: 15,000/15,000 SUs
Oasis: 10,000/10,000 SUs
Ranch: 10,000 GB

QUICK LINKS
Submit Publications <https://geodynamics.org/cig/news/publications-refbase/submit/>
Software <https://geodynamics.org/cig/software/>

CONTACT US
contact at geodynamics.org <mailto:contact at geodynamics.org>
community engagement to develop a plan for CIG IV. Louise had shared with us her need to take a period of medical leave and suggested we invite Magali Billen to act as interim director, and co-PI together with co-PI Dr. Lorraine Hwang, whenever she was absent. Magali is a long-time member of the CIG community and recent member of the Executive Committee. We all felt that she was a logical and excellent choice to shepherd CIG.
We recently voted to formally endorse Magali as the Interim Director for CIG and to ask NSF to nominate her as the lead PI on the CIG grant.  The University of California, Davis administration is in agreement that this is a necessary step and that it needs to be done without delay to ensure that CIG, as an organization, can continue to operate.

In asking Magali to step up to this role, the EC recognizes that we are asking her to take on a very significant leadership task at short notice and we have assured her that we will offer whatever support she needs to make the transition a success.

The EC plans to hold an extraordinary meeting within the next one or two months to manage the leadership transition. If any members of the CIG community would like to provide input to the EC for this meeting, please feel free to email ec at geodynamics.org <mailto:ec at geodynamics.org> or contact individual members of the EC directly with your suggestions and concerns. Individual email addresses of members of the EC can be found on our governance <https://geodynamics.org/cig/about/governance/> page.

Contributed by Louis Moresi, Executive Committee Chair

Research Highlight
CIG Participates in Early Testing on Frontera
In the next months, the new NSF-funded Petascale Computing System Frontera <https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/systems/frontera> will open for early testing at the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC). Frontera will be approximately twice as powerful as the current XSEDE flagship supercomputer Stampede2. It will provide a leadership-class computing resource to enable much larger and more complex research challenges than previously possible and push the boundaries of currently available numerical methods.

NSF has awarded CIG 0.27 million node hours to participate in Frontera’s early testing phase from May 2019 to January 2020, which will be used to benchmark the performance of existing CIG software and further its scalability using new numerical methods in preparation for wider community use. Specifically, we will focus on testing and developing the CIG codes ASPECT and Calypso for mantle and core dynamics, respectively. In addition to research on numerical methods to reduce scalability bottlenecks applicable to a range of CIG codes, we will also conduct “proof-of-concept” simulations that target outstanding geophysical questions that were intractable with the current generation of HPC systems. ... [continued <https://geodynamics.org/cig/news/research-highlights/may-2019/>]

For more information and updates on CIG Frontera activities throughout the year, look for announcements on the CIG Webpage <http://geodynamics.org/> or Forum <https://geodynamics.org/>.

Contributed by Juliane Dannberg, Rene Gassmoeller, Hiro Matsui, and John Naliboff

2019 - 2020 CIG Speaker Series
We are please to announce two speakers <https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/speaker-series/2019-2020-speakers/> for the 2019-2020 CIG Speakers Series:
Sylvain Barbot, USC. From Grains to Tectonic Plate Boundaries
Jolante Van Wijjk, New Mexico Tech. What Creates the Unique Topography of East Africa?
We encourage applications to host speakers from a wide range of disciplines and undergraduate institutions that increase the diversity of our community. Speakers will be available to meet with students and faculty during their visit. More information about hosting a speaker can be found here <https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/speaker-series/>.  Please apply <mailto:speakers at geodynamics.org> before June 15 for full consideration.

2019 Summer Workshops
Deadlines for CIG summer workshops are rapidly approaching:
2019 Crustal Modeling Workshop, June 10-14, Golden, Colorado. Registration closes May 15.
2019 Rayleigh Hackathon, July 22-26, Boulder, Colorado. Registration closes May 30.
Copyright © 2019 Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
One Shields Avenue, UC Davis, Davis, CA 95616

 <https://geodynamics.org/>	Website <https://geodynamics.org/>
 <mailto:contact at geodynamics.org>	Email <mailto:contact at geodynamics.org>
 <https://geodynamicsblog.wordpress.com/>	RSS <https://geodynamicsblog.wordpress.com/>
 <https://www.youtube.com/user/CIGeodynamics>	YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/user/CIGeodynamics>
 <https://github.com/geodynamics>	GitHub <https://github.com/geodynamics>
 <https://twitter.com/UCDgeodynamics>	Twitter <https://twitter.com/UCDgeodynamics>

This email was sent to ljhwang at ucdavis.edu <mailto:ljhwang at ucdavis.edu>
why did I get this? <https://geodynamics.us12.list-manage.com/about?u=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&id=f360470027&e=&c=944adf03dc>    unsubscribe from this list <https://geodynamics.us12.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&id=f360470027&e=&c=944adf03dc>    update subscription preferences <https://geodynamics.us12.list-manage.com/profile?u=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&id=f360470027&e=>
Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics · One Shields Avenue · UC Davis · Davis, CA 95616 · USA

 <http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&afl=1>