[CIG-LONG] Gale on linux (debian) has trouble running

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon Feb 5 12:07:22 PST 2007

> Hi,
>
>   I have tried to install Gale on a linux box with debian but I have
> some
> trouble in running it.
> I downloaded the binary files and then the source code (the compilation
> seems to work fine and I got an executable) and with both I have the
> same
> message of error.

Gale uses MPI, even in serial mode, and with some implementations, MPI
changes the current directory to the location of the executable.  Then
Gale can not find extension.xml.  I have tried changing the current
directory back within the code, but that causes mysterious crashes.  I
think I have a solution, but I have not implemented it yet.

For now, one workaround is to specify the complete name of the input
file.  For example,

  ../bin/Gale /export/data/rocco/CIG/Gale-1_1_0/input/extension.xml

Another way is to symlink the executable to the current directory

  cd /export/data/rocco/CIG/Gale-1_1_0/input/
  ln -s ../bin/Gale
  ./Gale extension.cml

I have filed a bug about this issue

  http://geodynamics.org/roundup/issues/issue87

Let me know if the workaround works for you.

walter at geodynamics.org