[CIG-LONG] [Gale] EulerDeform: coordinate out of bounds when increasing model resolution

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon Nov 24 15:04:20 PST 2008

<Guillaume.Duclaux at csiro.au> wrote:
> Hi Matthieu and Walter,
>
> Thanks guys for your advices!
>
> I tried to fix different time steps but the model was still crashing
> due to EulerDeform problems...
>
> I found that the problem came from the pressure remesher part of
> EulerDeform. I realised at the same time that my model had problems
> with nodal pressure. After looking in the CIG archieve, I realise I
> didn't set properly the minimumYieldStress for a yielding rheology
> component (it has to be equal to the cohesion - am I right Walter?).

I set it to be equal to the cohesion because I do not believe that the
failure criterion is physically correct for failure under tension.
But there is no numerical reason to make it equal to the cohesion.

> The model starts with a strong Nodal pressure contrast in the upper
> part. I guess it behaves like this because it doesn't start under
> isostatic equilibrium.

That sounds suspicious.  Are you looking at step 1, or step 0?  Step
0's output is not reliable.

> Removing the Pressure remesher part in EulerDeform looks to avoid
> the crash without fixing the timestep.

I think that this means that the values of NodalPressure will be a
little less accurate, but otherwise it should work fine.

walter at geodynamics.org