[CIG-LONG] Gale Viscosity

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Thu Apr 22 14:09:28 PDT 2010

"Md. Tariqul Islam" <misl5790 at uni.sydney.edu.au> wrote:
>  Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I am a student of Masters Research in the School of Geosciences, University of
> Sydney and presently working with Gale. I have been trying a model with 5cm
> extension from both side with Non Newtonian Viscosity. While I was working
> with the default Frank-kamenetskii viscosity with low viscoty value it was
> working but it does not work, any way, with Non Newtonian. With high velocity
> it says not converging but with low one it says converged after one step.
> If you please give an idea that would be great. I am sending the input file
> for your information.

I ran your input file.  I do not see the problem with Non Newtonian
converging.  I ran it with the command

  ./Gale mymodel.xml -pc_type lu -ksp_type preonly

However, it did crash after one step because EulerDeform was not quite
right.  You had static Bottom, LeftBottom, and Right sides.  I took
those out and the simulation runs fine.

I am attaching a fixed input file.

walter at geodynamics.org