[CIG-MC] material support in CitcomS

Eh Tan tan2 at geodynamics.org
Thu Jan 17 12:48:44 PST 2008

CLINT CONRAD wrote:
> Hi Eh,
>
> In the manual for CitcomS 3.0.1, it says that the implementation of
> material support is not working. I think, in the past, it was possible
> to assign a viscosity factor to individual nodes - this was useful for
> implementing low viscosity regions near plate boundaries, for example.
>
> Can this still be done in the new version of CitCom - I am just
> wondering what would be involved to get this feature working properly.
>
> Thanks!
> Clint

Hi Clint,

(cc'ing to cig-mc)

Material support is not working "correctly" in the current CitcomS. The
code for material support reads some age-dependent files to assign the
viscosity factor, so, presumablely, this function should be called at
every timestep. But this function is only called in the setup phase. The
code should be working, in the sense that it changes the viscosity
according to the file input, but may not read in the correct files.

I don't know the original intent of material support nor how to "fix"
the apparent inconsistency. Your input will be extremely helpful in this
regard.

A more detailed explanation is already in our bug tracker:
http://www.geodynamics.org/roundup/issues/issue43

Eh

--
Eh Tan