[CIG-MC] velocity BCs

Eh Tan tan2 at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 28 07:54:18 PDT 2011

Hi Craig,

I can confirm that your node ordering is correct. However, the order of
vx, vy is not reversed. You are probably using x for longitude and y for
latitude. In CitcomS, x is the colatitude, y is the longitude, and z is
the radius. This definition will give a right-handed coordinate system.

The CitcomS manual is unclear on the definition of x and y directions. I
will update the manual.

Cheers,
Eh

On 6/27/11 10:52 PM, Craig O'Neill wrote:
> This is probably self-evident but not explicit so I'd thought I'd
> check - the velocity BC condition files bvel.dat* (for regional) are
> in vx,vy format.
> The ordering of this file is following a nested loop defined in the
> coor_file.
> Here the first loop is the colat, nested in that is the longitude loop.
> SO, to read the bvel file, we are essentially reading the vx,vy
> corresponding to the points:
> colat1 long1
> colat1 long2
> colat1 long3
> colat2 long1
> colat2 long2
> etc.
> Just wanted to check this, as the velocity format is kind-of reversed
> (vx, then vy). Writing a script to convert gplates gpml to regional
> citcom input, so if anyone can give me a quick confirm that'd be great.
> Many thanks
> -Craig.
>

> --
> Dr Craig O'Neill
> ARC Future Fellow/Senior Lecturer
> CCFS - Core to Crust Fluid Systems ARC Centre of Excellence
> GEMOC ARC National Key Centre
> Department of Earth & Planetary Science
> Macquarie University, E7A, Rm 515
> Sydney, NSW, 2109, Australia
>
> Phone: +61 2 9850 9673
> http://www.gemoc.mq.edu.au/~coneill/
> <http://www.gemoc.mq.edu.au/%7Econeill/>

Eh Tan
-------
Postdoctoral Fellow
Institute for Geophysics
University of Texas, Austin
J.J. Pickle Research Campus, Bldg 196 (ROC)
10100 Burnet Rd. (R2200),
Austin, TX 78758-4445
(512) 475-9568