[CIG-MC] doubt about viscosity.smooth_cycles

Margarete Jadamec margarete.jadamec at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:10:39 PDT 2012

Hi Yang Ting,

The choice of viscosity.smooth_cycles can significantly affect model
convergence and run time, for models with large viscosity variations
and using a non-Newtonian rheology. I extracted several pages from my
dissertation where I explored this on a 3D model with a simple
subduction zone geometry. Section 3.4.2 and Figure 3.3 show how run
times can vary for models depending on the viscosity transfer option
and viscosity averaging schemes. In addition, Appendix C (scroll down
in the PDF) gives background information with more details of the
transfer mechanisms in Table 3.3 (page 163). So, depending on your
problem specifications and the viscosity formulation you are using, it
could be worthwhile doing a couple tests with your particular setup.

Margarete

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM, ting yang <heaventian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,all,
>     I'm now reading the program of citcom.There is one doubt about the
> parameter viscosity.smooth_cycles.
> In Solver_multigrid.c, the method to constraint vicosity from finner level
> to coarser level is different for different values of
> viscosity.smooth_cycles(ranging from 0 to 3)
> But I cannot understand the advantages and disadvantages of each respect to
> the others.
> Can you describe to me briefly the situations suited for each choice of
> viscosity.smooth_cycles?
> Will the choice of viscosity.smooth_cycles affect the convergence of Stokes
> solver greatly?
>
> Best wishes!
>
> --
> wish you happiness !
> yours sincerely,
> Yang Ting
> School of Earth and Space Science
> University of Science and Technology of China

Margarete Jadamec
NSF Postdoctoral Research Fellow
http://www.geo.brown.edu/People/Postdocs/Jadamec/

Office: