[CIG-SEISMO] Help with visualizing output in Google Earth

Nena Carina Espanola nena.carina at gmail.com
Thu May 6 19:25:27 PDT 2010

Good day to all!

I'm a system administrator for our cluster and have installed
SPECFEM3D_GLOBE Version 5.0.1 for researchers to use. I want to make a
simple simulation, visualize it in Google Earth, and demonstrate it to
future users of our facility.

What I'm trying to simulate is an earthquake that occurred last July 16,
1990 with epicenter in Northern Philippines. I chose this earthquake
since this is one of the most destructive earthquakes in the history of
the Philippines. I already have the CMTSOLUTION file, however, I'm not
very sure how to set the Par_file as I know very little (almost nothing)
about seismology. I do not know which model would be best to use for
Google Earth animations. I've already tried a global run using s362ani
(as this is the default model set in Par_file). I then followed the
instructions found in UTILS/Visualization/GoogleEarth folder to create
the animation.kml file. However, when I tried viewing it in Google
Earth, it shows a huge red X on the other side of the earth and a thick
line connecting the north and south poles.

I'm attaching the Par_file, CMTSOLUTION, and the bash script I use for
your reference.

Thanks in advance,

Nena :-)

Here's our Cluster: