[CIG-SEISMO] differences between models in Mineos

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Thu Aug 11 14:46:46 PDT 2011

nader at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
> I have been working with MINEOS for some months. I had been using
> the model prem_noocean exclusively. Now I wanted to do some test changing
> the model but surprisingly the amplitudes in the row seismograms are
> completely different between prem_ocean and prem_noocean that are given
> into the folder models in the program. The differences even of 6 orders of
> magnitude and also the shape of the traces is different. It is very likely
> that I am doing something wrong, but I have double checked several times
> whether the inputs are the same and every thing is correct. If you have
> any idea of what can be wrong  I would appreciated that.

I finally got time to look at this.  My guess is that there is
something about your source (japan_cmt_event) that is causing the
difference.  If I run your script with china_cmt_event, then I get
similar amplitudes.  So you could try starting with the
china_cmt_event, incrementally modifying it to japan_cmt_event, and
see where the change comes from.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
walter at geodynamics.org