[CIG-SEISMO] Questions à propos de xmeshfem3D

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Tue Jun 19 05:17:33 PDT 2012

Dear Tristan,

Thank you for your email. Let me answer in English (since you cc'ed the
CIG mailing list):

- yes, using the internal mesher (xmeshfem3D) is still a valid option
when running SPECFEM3D for models that have a relatively simple shape;
topography can be handled if it is smooth enough (which is almost always
the case at large scale, for instance for a country or a continent)

- yes, different wave speed parameters can be given in each layer, and
they can also vary inside each spectral element in order to handle
tomographic models for instance; in the users' manual that is explained
in Section 3.2, in particular at the bottom of page 17 (of the SVN
version; please use the SVN version, not the tar file that is on the CIG
web page and that is a bit old; you can get it using " svn checkout
http://geodynamics.org/svn/cig/seismo/3D/SPECFEM3D/trunk SPECFEM3D ")

- using a cluster should not be too difficult; we provide scripts for
that (in Chapter 9 of the manual and in directory
"SPECFEM3D/utils/Cluster" ; you may need to adapt them a little bit (but
the modifications needed should be minor)

--
Dimitri Komatitsch - komatitsch aT lma.cnrs-mrs.fr