[CIG-SEISMO] cubit2specfem3d export

s.khan-1 at utwente.nl s.khan-1 at utwente.nl
Mon Jan 13 10:47:17 PST 2014

Dear All,

The boundary_definition.py script does not catch my topographic surface. I have to define it manually after running the script (boundary_definition.py). Then I export the mesh with run_cubit2specfem3d.py, which says
:
Writing MESH/free_surface_file.....
  block name: face_topo id: 2
  number of faces =  0
:
:
# all files needed by SCOTCH are now in directory MESH

Rest of the process goes smoothly and I also get result in the OUTPUT. The question is, what does "number of face=0" mean any does it affect the results?

Another thing, when I use very fine mesh (e.g. mesh interval 3000) the result (in seismograms) produces a lot of NaNs and at some places Infinities. Why is it so?

Note: The topo surface has been modified while the rest of geo model is the same as given in homogeneous_halfspace example. The topo surface is made of several surfaces which are combined to one using simplify option in cubit. I am using SPECFEM3D_Cartesian 2.1.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Saad Khan