[CIG-SEISMO] Questions Specfem3d

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Tue Nov 6 14:47:33 PST 2018

Hi again Sebastian,

PS: indeed for Colombia the UTM zone is 18, but you do not need to worry
about northing and easting because that is defined automatically by the
UTM projection itself (see e.g. http://www.dmap.co.uk/utmworld.htm ) and
that is done automatically from inside SPECFEM. Thus, if you plan to use
UTM projection inside the code, the input mesh you create should be in
lat/long and thus no easting and no northing.

The other option is to create your external mesh directly in UTM
coordinates (i.e. with the projection already done) and then yes the
mesh point coordinates should have the right easting and northing
(which, for region 18, you can get e.g. from

On 11/6/18 11:32 PM, Dimitri Komatitsch wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> If you used TRELIS, then in TRELIS you can display the min and max of X
> Y and Z of your mesh (if you did not define it yourself, it means you
> used a default example and then Trelis defined min and max values for
> you, which you can output).
>
> The UTM map projection is done later, from inside the SPECFEM3D code;
> thus if you want to use it, you need to create the initial mesh in
> lat/long, not in X Y Z.
>
> Best regards,
> Dimitri.
>
> On 11/6/18 2:35 PM, Sebastian Alexis Castañeda Perez wrote:
>> Hello all, I'm using the specfem3d code for a research project. I had
>> a problem with the STATIONS file, because when I'm trying to run the
>> solver it prints "needs at least one receiver". Do you know where can
>> I check the coordinates of the volume I defined as the region of
>> study, because when I create the volume with trelis I didn't define
>> any coordinates and in the Par_file  the only parameter defining it is
>> the UTM projection zone, which in my case is 18. The nodes_coords_file
>> has what I suppose is the northing and easting but I dont know the
>> reference point.
>>

>> Best regards,
>>

>> Sebastian.

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr