[CIG-SEISMO] [SPECFEM3D] Some questions about transport my model(based on Trelis) to 'specfem3d format'

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Wed Nov 21 06:31:05 PST 2018

Dear Chen Di,

Thank you for your message. Yes, Trelis works fine with SPECFEM3D, no
problem at all (see e.g.
http://komatitsch.free.fr/preprints/2019_NDTandE_Rosenkrantz.pdf for a
recent example, among many others).

We only test on Unix-like systems, from Windows yes you can install a
virtual machine running Linux for instance.

On 11/16/18 1:04 PM, Chen Di wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> Now I try to use SPECFEM3D to analysis, and have created and meshed my
> own model in trelis 15.2 on windows OS. Then I want to transport the
> model to specfem3d format. I found it seems that should use a Python
> script (called ‘cubit2specfem3d.py’) to process . But Iam not very clear
> abouthow to use this python script  to do that. Now I have 2 questions here:
>
> 1.I have setup Ubuntu on my VMware virtual machine and ran the included
> example successfully.Meanwhile, I use Trelis 15.2 on Windows OS to
> create and mesh the model. For now, how to use ‘cubit2specfem.py’to
> process format conversion? I have read specfem manual but still feel not
> so clear.  Should I use it on windows cmd , ubuntu cmd , or trellis
> command tab?
>
> 2.I used Trelis instead of Cubit , is there some compatibility issue
> between SPECFEM3D and Trelis?
>
> Please give me some help.I am looking forward to you reply.
>

>                                           A Seismology Researcher

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr