[CIG-SHORT] Fault friction nonlinear model convergence issue

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Sun Oct 17 13:21:42 PDT 2010

Birendra-

You just need to teak your PETSc KSP settings slightly. The ASM
preconditioner is rather generic and isn't ideal for saddle-point
problems such as fault slip implemented with Lagrange multipliers, so
the number of iterations increases with the number of degrees of
freedom. As a result you need to increase the maximum number of
iterations and number of iterations between reorthogonalizations. We
have been working on a custom preconditioner that gives faster
convergence results and it should be available in the next feature release.

In general, you want ksp_gmres_restart to be close to ksp_max_it, but
this does use more memory so there is a limit.

Using

ksp_max_it = 400
ksp_gmres_restart = 100

the solution KSP solve converged in 88 iterations for me. In retrospect
I could have set ksp_max_it = 100 and ksp_gmres_restart = 100 but using
400 gave the solve a little extra room.

Brad